The three story Georgian style home was built in 1835 as the family residence of John Phinizy, a wealthy Augusta merchant and businessman and remained in the family until 1933.
Since that time, Poteet Funeral Home and the Augusta Lodge No. 205, B.P.O. of Elks have owned the building. William G. Hatcher, Sr. and MAU purchased the building in 1993. The Phinizy Building was renamed the Marion Hatcher Center in honor of Marion, the late wife of William G. Hatcher Sr.
The Marion Hatcher Center is currently used for weddings, receptions, parties, luncheons, business meetings, and other gatherings.